I am excited that you decided to learn more about me and the academy. To respect your time, let me introduce myself by answering TWO very important questions.
- Second youngest of eight children
- Raised by my single-parent mother in St. Louis, MO in the Ghetto
- My once a month visiting father told me that I was not his son when I was 10 years old; never saw him again
- Grew-up in a one-bedroom apartment without hot water or heat
- Did not have a bathtub
- Used a woodstove and kerosene heater to keep warm
- Wore secondhand clothes
- Witnessed the negative aspects of violence and mental illness
- Shared my sleeping space with rats and roaches
- My mother passed due to cancer when I was 17 years old
- Financial Hardship – did not have two pennies to rub together
Totaled my car after falling asleep while driving on the highway headed to college my freshman year
Was robbed at gun-point while visiting the library during college break my sophomore year
My 17 year-old nephew, 35-year-old cousin and 22 year-old friend were murdered while I was in college
Managed to graduate from Jackson State University and Michigan State University
What I did…
- Became a social worker so that I can help people overcome their hardships.
- Became a successful businessman so that I can help other mental health professionals do the same while also creating a financial legacy for my children.
- Won 2012 Senior Social Worker of the Year from United States Public Health Service.
- Received 6 United States Air Force Commendation Medals.
- Received a National Defense Service Medal.
- Received a Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.
- Received a Presidential Unit Citation in response to the Ebola outbreak.
- Retired after serving 22 years on active-duty in the USAF/USPHS
Over 24 years in Social Work
- Case Worker, Mental Health Clinician, Substance Abuse Counselor, Psychotherapist, Telemental Health Guru, etc.
- Retired Veteran, USAF/USPHS
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker to over 30,000 clients from around the world
- Commissioned Officer, USPHS
My Business Acumen
- President and CEO, Buckingham Consulting Group, LLC a 6-Figure consulting firm
- President, The Empathy and Resilience Center, Inc. 501 (3) (c)
- Founder, You Deserve More Community
- Founder, vPsychotherapy
- Author x 11, plus Filmmaker x 4
- 2017 DMV Entrepreneur of the Year from Wes Adams’ State’s Attorney Office
My Personal Life
- Married to my God-sent wife, Sandia
- Father to my “Whys’ – Dwayne Jr. and Layla
- World traveler, basketball player, gym goer